Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Give You William!


The majority of my day was well spent as you can see. I finally finished the little guy who I have named William the Short-Necked Giraffe, William for short though. I didn’t really know that I was going to finish him today because finishing him wasn’t even one of my choices of things I could do today. I thought about reading a book, but as I continued to think about it I just couldn’t get myself to do it. For some reason when I read a book at home I feel like I’m not being productive enough or there is something else that I should be doing or that needs my attention more so than the book, and on this odd day I wanted to be productive And that’s when I noticed unfinished William kept looking at me silently pleading with his little black beady eyes to give him the spots he always wanted to rock. So I gave in (because really who could resist a face like that?) and set up my working station. And TADA! Se magnific!





I don’t know why but whenever I’m alone and in my crafting zone my brain calmly skims through all sorts of ideas, ranging from the end of the world to maybe what super crazy food I would dare to eat. My brain just lets go and it wanders away; today it wandered towards religion. First it started to think about how annoying and chore like I find religion to be, and if it weren’t for my parents forcing it on me all my life would I genuinely like it and practice it. Then it went to the perception of my parents; how one of my parents is more expressive and overbearing all the time when it comes to religion on their kids, and how the other is just as in love with religion as the other one but isn’t as outward about it like the other. This little comment brought me to this question: would a relationship hold or exist if, one partner was extremely religious(following the church and practicing their faith) while the other partner believed in a god but not in the structure of the church or the concept of religion? I’m just curious about this question and trying to figure out on simplest terms, without knowing the personalities of each individual, if this could work out.

1 comment:

girlwithapurl said...

William looks amazing!! I love how the spots got smaller as they got toward the legs. It looks so realistic that way! Also, I know exactly what you mean about the book reading--when I pick up a book, I start to think about all the other things I should be doing, even though they aren't necessarily more important. I don't read nearly as much as I used to, and it's making me feel like a dummy.

Your entry is making me wish that you had been with me at church on Sunday. You would have liked it. The sermon was about the problems with believing that God's main desire is for us to carry the burden of following all the rules and being "good little boys and girls", so to speak. The point was that Jesus came to save us from "the law", since all it does is condemn us (that's Bible speak, right there, ha), because we will never measure up. SO, in response to that, the Bible says over and over again that real righteousness comes from faith, not a slavish devotion to rules. I can't tell you all that that means, because I'm still learning and praying about that whole concept, but right now I believe that this "faith that creates righteousness" is just an honest, real relationship with God based on trust in Him. And that right there is what I really wish more people were aware of, but the message always gets trampled on or distorted.
Sorry for the comment of epic proportions! I'm passionate about these things, haha. That, and this particular sermon really reminded me of your frustration with your mom.

Oh, and as my own response to your question: I would hope that the second type of person (the one who loved God but didn't necessarily love the church structure) would eventually rub off on the other person. Love should come before legalism.